I-35 Waco Project 5B -
West to Abbott
Project ID (CSJ): 0014-08-071,
Project 5B is widening I-35 from 4 lanes to 6 lanes for approximately 8 miles
from North Loop 340 to FM 310 between West and Abbott.
Need & Purpose
- Need: Increased truck traffic along the I-35 corridor
coupled with regional population growth in Texas has created
travel demand that exceeds its current capacity. The existing
I-35 facility through Central Texas is an essential element of
the local and regional transportation system.
- Purpose: The purpose of the project is to meet local and regional travel demands by increasing capacity; upgrading the transportation infrastructure to meet current FHWA and TxDOT
design standards for interstates, bridges, and frontage roads;
thereby improving the safety of travelers along I-35.
This project will address congestion while improving safety at this
I-35 location by:
- Widening approximately 8 miles of
I-35 from four lanes
to six lanes (three lanes in each direction).
- Upgrading on and off ramps.
- Converting frontage roads to one-way
- Building u-turns, traffic signals and electronic message signs
- Construction Cost Estimate:
- Project 5B - construction complete