My35 Central Texas News
Turkey Day Travel: Get Informed, Plan Your Route, Relieve Some Stress
If you're a regular reader of My35 Central Texas News, you already know that information about lane closures and traffic incidents is available from many sources on the Internet or along I-35 itself. Starting soon, an additional Twitter feed will be one of those sources. | Read More
spanning the Brazos
One can't help but notice the unique look of the new access road bridges under construction across the Brazos River on I-35. The City of Waco wanted the bridges to be aesthetically pleasing and reminiscent of the nearby historic suspension bridge. | Read More
Section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Completed the bridge deck at the northbound frontage-road bridge over Salado Creek.
- Began building the bridge rail on the new northbound frontage-road bridge over Salado Creek.
- Completed the eastside Thomas Arnold intersection.
Down the road
- Continue construction on the FM 2484 retaining walls.
- Continue building the bridge deck on the FM 2484 crossing.
- Continue construction of the southbound frontage road from Salado Plaza to Thomas Arnold.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlane and frontage road from FM 2268 to Salado Creek.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlane bridges over Salado Creek.
- Continue building the bridge rail on the northbound frontage-road bridge over Salado Creek.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlanes from the south end of the project to FM 2268.
- Continue construction of the westside Thomas Arnold intersection.
- Construct northbound frontage road from Salado Creek to Thomas Arnold.
- Open northbound frontage road to traffic from FM 2268 to Thomas Arnold.
- Continue construction of retaining wall under FM 2268 to the south.
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Completed installing the illumination poles on the west side of the highway at FM 436 and the frontage roads.
Down the Road
- Continue retaining wall construction at various locations.
- Continue placing concrete pavement on the southbound mainlane from US 190 to Loop 121.
- Continue constructing the southbound and northbound mainlanes between Loop 121 and US 190.
- Continue paving the northbound mainlanes from Tahuaya Rd. to Loop 121.
- Switch southbound traffic onto new concrete pavement from US 190 to Loop 121.
SECTION 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
- Began installing the storm sewer on the southbound frontage road near Charter Oaks.
- Began removing the off-ramp on the northbound side between Midway Dr. and S. Loop 363.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the storm sewer on the southbound frontage road near Charter Oaks.
- Begin constructing the northbound on-ramp between Midway Dr. and Loop 363. This work will include some retaining wall construction.
- Continue relocating utilities (waterline bores are in progress around Industrial Ave.).
- Close the 3rd Street overpass. (It will remain closed permanently and will be demolished in the coming weeks).
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Began working on the east end of the culvert near Bottoms East Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue work on the culvert at the south end of the project near Loop 363.
- Continue installing riprap along the southbound frontage road ditches.
- Continue work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge rail.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between Loop 363 and Berger Rd.
- Continue working on the southbound frontage road to the north end of the project.
- Continue working on the culverts near the new South Troy overpass.
- Continue working on the box culvert on the southbound frontage road north of Little Elm Creek.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Continue working on the east end of the culvert near Bottoms East Rd.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until further notice, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Completed setting the beams on the new northbound frontage-road bridge at Big Elm Creek.
- Began construction of the new I-35 overpass at Old Blevins Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road from Big Elm Creek to Big Elm Rd. and from Old Blevins Rd. to FM 107. Continue utility relocations.
- Continue the excavation and embankment for the new northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy.
- Continue building the road base on the northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing.
- Pour the bridge deck on the new southbound mainlane bridge over Deer Creek.
- Continue constructing the new southbound mainlane from Big Elm Rd. to Old Blevins Rd.
- Pour bridge deck on the new northbound frontage road bridge at Big Elm Creek.
- Continue construction of the new I-35 overpass at Old Blevins Rd.
- Begin concrete paving for the new southbound mainlanes between Big Elm Rd. and Deer Creek.
Section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Switched traffic to the new frontage road pavement at the Moonlight Rd. intersection.
- Completed pouring the bridge deck at FM 1695/Moonlight Dr.
Down the Road
- Pour the bridge rail at FM 1695/Moonlight Dr.
- Continue excavating for the northbound mainlanes and construct the retaining wall at the Callan Ranch Rd. (formerly Telephone Rd.) overpass.
- Continue work on the northbound mainlanes from FM 2184 to FM 2063/Sun Valley Blvd.
- Continue work on the northbound mainlanes from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Begin switching traffic to the new northbound frontage road in Lorena.
- Continue work on the intersection at the west end of the N. FM 2837/Old Lorena Rd. bridge and the southbound frontage road.
- Switch traffic to the new bridge at S. FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Demolish existing bridge at S. FM 2827/Rosenthal Rd.
- Pour approach slab at N. FM 2837.
- Begin drilling shafts at Callan Ranch Rd. overpass (formerly Telephone Rd.)
- Pour the abutments, columns, caps and backwalls at North Cow Bayou.
- Pour the bridge deck at South Cow Bayou.
- Pour the columns for the northbound mainlanes at Bullhide Creek.
BRAZOS RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
- Began installing the cable system and tensioning cables on the northbound bridge.
- Began pouring the deck on the southbound frontage-road bridge.
- Began installing lighting systems.
Down the Road
- Continue building the bridge approaches in the northeast and southwest quadrants.
- Continue pouring the bridge deck (concrete pavement) on the northbound and southbound frontage-road bridges.
- Complete the construction of the retaining wall in the northeast quadrant.
- Continue installing the cable system and tensioning cables on the northbound bridge.
- Begin installing caps on the bridge pylons.
- Begin paving the bridge approach and Robinson Tower access points.
- Continue pouring the deck on the southbound frontage road.
- Begin installing the cable on the southbound frontage road.
- Continue installing lighting systems.
Section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- The Wiggins Rd. crossover is closed for demolition and is expected to be closed for 12-18 months. Tours Rd. (next crossing to the south) and Tokio Rd. (next crossing to the north) are open.
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Hilltop Rd. bridge is closed for the intersection/bridge reconstruction. The segment of the southbound frontage road from Meadowlawn Rd. to Hilltop will be permanently converted to one way. This closure is expected to last for 12-18 months, and completion of the reconstruction is anticipated in late 2013 or early 2014. Crossings at FM 308 to the south and Ross Rd. to the north will be open.
- The exit and entrance ramps to/from Wiggins will be closed until the new northbound mainlanes are completed.
- Finished construction of the northbound overpass at Hilltop Rd.
- Finished construction of the southbound overpass at Wiggins Rd.
- Shifted northbound mainlane traffic north of BUS 77 onto new pavement for about 5 miles to just south of Ross Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to Loop 340. (Once permanent signs are in place at the BUS 77, Craven Ave., and Meyers Ln. intersections, these intersections will change from four-way to two-way stops. The frontage-road traffic will not stop.)
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue construction of the southbound mainlanes from Tours Rd. to FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue construction of northbound overpass at FM 308.
- Complete installing overhead sign supports and signs from Loop 340 to BUS 77.
- Continue northbound mainlane construction at the north end of the project to connect to the 5B (West to Abbott) project.
- Complete paving at the FM 1858/Tokio Rd. intersection
- Open the west Hilltop Rd. intersection.
- Shift northbound mainlane traffic north of BUS 77 onto new pavement between FM 1858/Tokio Rd. and Tours Rd.
- Demolish the existing Ross Rd. underpass.
Section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- Finished constructing pavement on the northbound mainlanes from County Line Rd. to FM 1242.
- Finished removing the old southbound mainlanes from County Line Rd. to FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Began construction of the new northbound mainlane overpass at FM 2114/Oak St.
Down the Road
- Continue seeding and stabilizing the new ditches throughout the project.
- Continue the side-road tie-ins at the Marable St. intersection.
- Continue placing the box culverts and other drainage.
- Continue the road base for the new northbound mainlanes from FM 1858/Tokio Rd. to County Line Rd.
- Continue the embankment on the west side of the southbound frontage road at the Marable St. intersection.
- Continue the tie-ins to the existing cross roads (Marable St., County Line Rd., HCR 3102, and FM 1242).
- Move the northbound mainlane traffic onto new pavement.
- Install the concrete pavement and asphalt for the northbound and southbound frontage roads.
- Begin removing the old northbound mainlanes from County Line Rd to FM 1242/Abbott.
- Begin the concrete paving on the new northbound mainlanes between FM 1858/Tokio Rd. and FM 2114/Oak St.
- Move the northbound traffic onto the new pavement from County Line Rd. to the FM 1242.
- Begin building the new northbound mainlane overpass at FM 2114 in West.
Section 5C: ABBOTT TO SOUTH OF HILLSBORO (FM 1304 TO FM 310)
- Began working on additional driveway access points.
Down the Road
- Reinstall permanent erosion-control devices.
- Complete work on driveways.
SAFETY REST AREAS (HILL COUNTY)
Note: The expected completion date has been pushed back indefinitely at this time. A subcontractor has to be replaced before the detail work can be completed.
- Facilities opened to the public on 11/8/2013.
Down the Road
- Complete interior exhibits (before Thanksgiving).
- Ribbon-cutting (probably in January 2014).