I-35E from US 77 south to US 77 north - Waxahachie
Project ID (CSJ): 0048-04-079
The I-35E project from US 77 south of Waxahachie to US 77 north of Waxahachie will widen this highway from four to six lanes (three in each direction). The contract to construct this project was awarded
on August 5, 2015 to OHL USA, Inc.
Need & Purpose
- Need: Increased truck traffic along the I-35 corridor coupled with regional population growth in Texas has created travel demand that exceeds its current capacity. The existing I-35E facility through Ellis County is an essential element of the local and regional transportation system.
- Purpose: The purpose of the project is to meet local and regional travel demands by increasing capacity; upgrading the transportation infrastructure to meet current FHWA and TxDOT design standards for interstates, bridges, and frontage roads; thereby improving the safety of travelers along I-35E.
This project will address congestion while improving safety at this
I-35E location by:
- Reconstructing and widening the existing median divided freeway from a four-lane facility to a proposed barrier divided six-lane facility
- adding one 12-foot wide mainlane in each direction and 10-foot inside and outside shoulders
- reconstructing seven bridges
- Construction Cost: $126.4 million
- Construction start: March 2016
Project Vicinity Map
Public Information Officer
TxDOT Dallas District
4777 E. Highway 80
Mesquite, TX 75150